Saturday, January 9, 2010

Wakeboarding

So during winter break, I went wakeboarding because my friend's friend owned a boat at a club in kaneohe. It was a cloudy day but it was still really nice because the water in the lake was nice and it was cool to chill on a boat and just relax. The only junk thing was that it was freezing cold. Ok, so there were some other people that came too and they already had experience with wakeboarding, so I watched them first and it seemed pretty easy. Then it came my turn. They told me some words of advice and after that I was in the water in a fetal position holding on to the line in back of the boat. I gave them the thumbs up and the boat jumped ahead. I was expecting to go fast, but the boat jerked me way more than I thought. Hahah so basically, I ended up eating it really hard in the water cause the boat pulled me forward, and I kinda hung on to the rope so I was like dragging my face on top the water, if you can picture that. Yeah....it was pretty embarrassing. I actually didnt get to stand up although I was really close, but the engine started acting up so we had to go in a put the boat back. When we were back at the mini harbor, we used this pulley to bring the boat up to the dock. Then, while looking up at the pulley, I IMMEDIATELY thought "PHYSICS!" The concept of force was a while back, but I imagined two free-body diagrams since there were two ropes. Each rope had tension going upwards and the weight of the boat downwards. Then, I thought tension must be mg/2! Haha thats pretty much it. Physics follows me everywhere I go!





This wasn't exactly the pulley that I was talking about, but it is similar. And this was the position I started in for wakeboarding but I ended up just falling forward once the boat starts moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment