Saturday, January 23, 2010

Ice Cubes

Ok, so I had a feeling that I was going to forget to do my blog this week, so I decided to do it now. Last week, when we had that barbeque, I remember filling up this container with ice for everyone. However, by the end of the night, a lot of it melted to water since it was just left out on the table. This reminded me of dakine thermodynamics that we did last chapter. The ice gained heat while it was sitting there on the counter, and this caused it to change states into a liquid. The heat gained by the ice is quantified by the formula Q=cm(delta T). Haha, does anyone know how to write a delta on a computer? Anyway, the change is state also factors into the heat as an extra amount of heat is needed for it to change state. This is known by using the equation Q=LM. This gives you the latent heat for fusion. Oh, and one more example of heat gainage is when I just went to go eat yogurt mama in kailua. (The lychee and the mango are the best flavors, with some mochi balls on the top). The yogurt was really good. Ok, so when the yogurt came out of the machine, it was nice and cold and in solid form, but when i was eating it, it was constantly melting. This was due to the gain in heat since the surroundings were warmer than the cold yogurt. YOGURT MAMA.
TRY IT!



Mmmm. See. Even this guy got lychee and mochi balls!

No comments:

Post a Comment