Sunday, November 8, 2009

Centrifugal force (fictitious force)


Hello everyone hows everything going? I went to see the fall play on Friday night and it was pretty funny except I was a bit confused in the beginning. Kinda junk for me though too because I got there late, so I was sitting like in the second to the last row and it was a little hard to hear what the performers were saying. Anyway, my friend drove me home after the play, and on the way home I encountered physics. To get to my house, you have to drive around this wide loop, which is an exit on the freeway. My friend was driving towards the right pretty fast on the loop, which caused both of us to drift to the left in the car. At this moment, I remember reading in the book about how this is centrifugal force because it is experienced as an outward force away from the center of rotation. Technically, however, it's not really a force, so it is a fictitious force. So, if I were to draw a free body diagram of forces present, I would not draw a vector for centrifugal force. I remember this same force at the punahou carnival when I was riding the musical express or something like that and it was this ride that went really fast in circles. I remember i was sitting the farthest out from the center of the circle, and two people were sitting to the right of me. Holy smokes, it was the worst most painful, most not fun ride ever. Due to centrifugal force, I got crushed by the two other people (let's just say the two people sitting next to me were not light or skinny like me) sitting next to me everytime we took a sharp turn and I was gonna puke cause i kept banging into the bar and the wall of the seats. I've had bad experiences with centrifugal force. Here ends my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment