Sunday, October 18, 2009

Momentum in sports


I didn't get to do much this weekend because of my sprained ankle. I was bummed cause I couldn't go play a for fun game of softball with my cousins. BUT after learning about momentum, I noticed that it is evident in many sports including baseball and softball, volleyball, and tennis. In baseball, a batter like Prince Fielder with more mass can hit the ball farther because what determines how much force is applied to the baseball is the impulse during the split second that the baseball is hit. Impulse is the same as the change in momentum, and the momentum is mass times velocity so the more mass the batter has and the faster the players swings the bat, the farther the baseball will travel after contact. Also, in volleyball, hitters, if possible, take the farthest approach so that they can have more space to run and gain momentum before hitting the ball. The faster the velocity of the player, the more momentum, and thus, the player can hit the ball harder and with more force.

1 comment: